Friday, March 25, 2011

Amazon Kindle DX - It's Bigger But is it Better?


You may or may not know that Amazon has come out with another New Kindle Ereader. That's now 3 Kindles in total that Amazon has for sale, each have their differences and one might be better for you than another.

I love to read and decided on the Kindle 2 for my reading habits but if the Kindle DX was a little cheaper I would have probably gone with that one.

You can buy a Kindle 2 for about $259, if you want the larger Kindle DX you are going to have to pay about $489.

That big difference in price will be enough for most people to only consider the Kindle 2, but if you can afford it and you like to have or need to have PDF's files, the DX might be the better choice.

The viewing area for the Kindle 2 is 6", while the DX viewing area measures a massive 9.7". For anyone that needs to use a larger font size on the Kindle DX, you will find that you can use the larger font size and still have a good amount of content per page displayed per page view. What I mean by that is when using the Kindle 2 and using one of the two largest font sizes the amount of text displayed per page is greatly decreased. Less text per page means more page turns than if you were using a smaller text size.

My eyes are not what they used to be so I find myself using the second and the third largest font sizes for my best viewing. When I increase the font size you know right away that you are going to have to turn the pages more often as their just isn't as much text per page as on the smaller font settings.

The Kindle 2 weighs in at just over 10 ounces, that's a little less than the weight of a 12 ounce can of soda. Its a good weight and easy to get comfortable with, I find my Kindle 2 easier to hold for long periods of time than a regular paper book.

The Kindle DX weighs in at about 19 ounces, its almost twice as heavy as the Kindle 2 but still its much easier to hold onto than a long paper back or for sure easier to hold onto than a hard back book.

The Kindle DX has a smaller Keyboard, it has all the same buttons but everything is just a little smaller, that gives you more room for the large display. I think the DX keyboard is a nice size, the Kindle 2 with a larger area used for the keyboard works fine, it doesn't seem over sized or anything like that, but if it were smaller it would be just as easy to work with.

The DX only has the page forward and page back buttons on the right side of the unit where as the Kindle 2 has the page turn buttons on both the right and the left sides. I like being able to hold my Kindle with either hand and find myself switching from hand to hand frequently. I'm sure I would get used to only using my right hand to hold the DX but its not that bad to hold it with your left hand and than when ready reach up with your right hand and turn the page.

Another big thing that is different from the Kindle 2 and the DX is the amount of memory that each unit has built in. Amazon says the Kindle 2 will hold about 1500 books, news papers or magazines or whatever and that's plenty for me. I like to read but 1500 books is a lot of books!

Amazon says the Kindle DX will hold up to 3500 books or newspapers or magazines or PDF files or whatever.

It would take me forever to fill up the DX but for those of you that are serious book collectors you might some day run out of room for more. One very nice thing that Amazon does is keep a copy of everything you have that you bought from the Amazon store. If you run out of room you can delete books and make room for more and feel fine because if you want it back you can download it again from Amazon for free.

Thats the basic run down of the differences between the Kindle 2 and the Kindle DX, which one you choose will depend of your individual wants and needs.








I use a Kindle 2 myself and bought it when the DX was said to be available soon. Because of the price and the fact that I don't really have a need very often to read PDF files, if I were to do it again I would probably buy the Kindle 2.

You can read a complete review for each of the Kindles at Http://www.ebookviewer.net, and also watch several short video's showing you each Kindle in action. If you want to find the best deal on a new Kindle, whether it be the original, or Kindle 2, or the DX, you will find links that will take you directly there. Your complete information source for all of the Amazon Kindles, Http://www.ebookviewer.net.


No comments:

Post a Comment